Sunday, April 10, 2011

Daal Lucknowi

Daal Chawal is the most comforting food for me. And since daal has got proteins it is good for kids too. And sometimes when I am too lazy to cook a great meal, daal chawal is always there as my saviour. So I always keep on trying various varieties of daal. Recently my husband gave me Sanjeev kapoor's Tasty Eating for Healthy Living book set as a gift...quite a surprise for me...as he does not believe in giving surprise gifts:( so this came as a pleasant shock to me. And while going through the daals and kadhi's book volume 4 , I came across this easy recipe of daal lucknowi.

I have never added milk in my daal before so I was not sure as to how the taste would be...but to my surprise the daal was very smooth, creamy and delicious. And adding lots of garlic was another special feature of this recipe...overall we had a delicious lunch with this daal, rice and my favourite mango pickle.


Ingredients:

Spilt Pigeon Peas( toor daal)- 1 Cup ( Soaked for about an hour)
Green Chillies- 2 Chopped
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
Red Chillies- 3 broken
Garlic Cloves- 4 Chopped
Asafoetida- a Pinch
Milk- 1 Cup ( I used skimmed)

Procedure:
  • Wash the soaked daal and pressure Cook the daal and green chillies with 2 cups of water in a pressure cook till 2 whistles. When the pressure is reduced completely open the lid and add turmeric powder and salt and simmer on low heat.
  • Heat the ghee and add cumin seeds, red chillies, garlic and asafoetida for tempering. Saute till garlic gets cooked . Pour the tempering in the daal and mix well.
  • Add 1 cup of milk and water as per required thickness and continue to simmer it for further 5 minutes.
Serve hot with steamed rice or roti.

Sending this daal to Cooking With Whole Foods- LB-Toor Daal event started by Kiran and hosted by Suma of Veggie Platter

26 comments:

  1. Dear,

    I have some awards waiting for you at my blog. Please feel free to collect them. And I will be delighted to see your Honest 7 Facts. Happy Blogging:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and real comfort dal..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slurp,mouthwatering here...fantastic daal....

    ReplyDelete
  4. dal is one of my fav !! this looks so tempting and inviting !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks lovely... I was looking for new recipes with daal...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...just by looking at the dal, I can feel its comfortness! :) Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...fantastic try Raji...great result...great clicks..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice colour and creamy texture.
    even i add a little milk to dal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adding milk sounds new to me...
    looks perfect and love the color dear...
    will try out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daal looks so lovely and creamy... Absolutely a comfort food :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very comforting and droolworthy dal..simply delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dal is looking so warm and inviting Raji... ! too great to have it with rice or roti... !

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband is from Lucknow dear .. so I am thinking I will surprise him someday with this daal recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a comforting dal! Adding milk does make it extra special. Thanks for sending this to my event.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice version of dal,sounds good with milk in it,will try next time! Nice click!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First time to your delicious blog!

    That's one droolworthy curry...yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. never added milk in daal. sounds good . Very nice photos

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks yummy...even i havn't tried adding milk to daal...will surely try!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am from Lucknow and this is the first time I am coming across a Lucknawi special dal, so I got to try this. Also visiting your blog first time and will keep coming!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Your views are much appreciated.

ShareThis

Post From The Past

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...